PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Tough Competition.

As always I'm entering any competitons I see coming round. We've a gig on the 17th of May is a very low scale competition in Manchester and today I sent off my application for 'So you think you're funny?'I was prompted to do so because I found out I didn't make it to the heats of the Amused Moose. Here's the e-mail I got;

"Hi,

Thank you very much for your application to be in a heat for the Amused Moose LaughOff 06.

We had a great many applications of a very high standard, a good deal more than we had spaces in the heats, and are sorry to say yours didn't make it through the difficult process to choose contestants.

Thanks again for applying, and good luck with your future gigs! We hope that you'll be back for next year's competition.

Amused Moose LaughOff 06




*email him and say thank you but we
had a large number of entries and he hasn't made it through the vetting
process this time"

I like the bit at the end that Hils jago has forgotten to delete when he/she's edited the mail -presumably from whoever's really in charge - and sent it on to me. Though he/she did mange to clip off the interesting bit *(Could be: It's all fixed anyway but...) What's weird is that it suggests Hils needs specific advice on how to inform me that I didn't get through. Am I the first person in the competition's history not to get through, hence the boss has to issue specific instructions for this bizarre occurance? This is possibly the case as it seems the competition isn;t widly publicised to newcomers- there's no entrance form on the website, I had to e-mail first just to ask how to enter. I also wonder why Hils bothered with a re-write, changing 'vetting process' to 'difficult process to choose contestants'. What's most interesting is that to read this you'd think there actually was a 'vetting process' - when I enquired they said I'd have to e-mail them some comedy references. So when they say they had 'applications of a very high standard' they mean emails with better fonts, and references from more famous comics / promoters who said nicer stuff.

Still, Al and (probably) Cal are in- they could use the organiser of the Newcastle Heat as their reference- so if they don't get in who does? Unfortunately, he's still never seen my act, which is my own fault for not gigging enough. Anyway, I'm sure I'll calm down enough to support them by the time the heats roll around, but if the bill's anything short of packed I'll be mad as a wet Hen.

NEXT GIGS:
TUESDAY 2ND OF MAY. 8.30 FOR A 9.00 START. -
'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2.

WEDNESDAY 3RD OF MAY.
SOMEWHERE IN MANCHESTER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home