PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Gig -25. Edinburgh.

Hello - hope everyone had a good Easter. Sorry for the delay but as I've said, I don't do weekends, or bank holidays.

Well, gig 25 - at least a quarter of the way through my comedy odyssey, as I plan to do 100 shows then decide if I actually like it. This was Long Live Comedy on tour (kind of) as Cal, Al and myself hopped in the car, popped up to Edinburgh and stopped the show - at the Stand.

It's a great little venue, in the basement of some flats just off princes street, and it's just comedy, 7 days a week, and beginners like us can get a look in. Oh, if only there was such a place in Newcastle. It's quite a big room, but has low ceilings and it's an odd shape, and it's popular - so it feels quite cramped. The first row of tables are touching the tiny semi-circle stage, I could have reached out and patted the first row on the head - (though I was strong and didn't give in to this temptation).

Sarah Millican got us on and she'd blagged us two 10 minute spots and a 5. I took the 5, as I still don't have a 10 that doesn't include a guitar. We were all keen to keep to time, as we'd been warned this was the sort of place where sticking to your slot is as important as being funny. An earlier liverpool comedian stretched his 5 minutes to 7, despite the engineer flashing the warning light as if the Bee Gees had arrived at the Copa. He got a telling off too. Actually, we agreed that the extra two minutes were the weakest part of his act and it would have been much better if he'd finished on time.

So, I kept it short - 4 minutes - so maybe too short, as I forgot my knighthood joke- doh! Cal was similarly cautious and did a good eight, but was kicking himself for leaving out some good stuff - including Chav! -the musical. Al was worst off though - he did a good set which was a little short - we guessed it was around 8 minutes, but it turned out to be 5 and a half - so he was on for less time than some of the 5 minuters. It was still a good set but Al was gutted.

TOP TIP - STICK TO TIME. BUY A FANCY VIBRATING WATCH LIKE WHAT CAL HAS GOT.

But - tonight is the LLC, so plenty of time to practice again - come along, the picture is a clue to what you can expect from me.



TUESDAY 18TH OF APRIL. 8.30 FOR A 9.00 START. -
THE 4TH 'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2.

1 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you had a toy gun in your ear you would look like a pink/purpley version of the Stands logo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home