PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ice tea next time.

Cal and Al do the audience competition results-I didn't think to get one of me in costume.






A good show all in all last night. I forgot to tape my compere bits, but I don't think there was much I could have re-used anyway. For my 'proper' act I did a cider addicted wurzle type farming character who had been in the music business, and even given Jimi Hendrix advice on his plums. (Though sending Jimi to the doctor about his testicles.) It took a while to get going, because it literally took a while to get going, I spent a deliberate time on stage setting up, especially going off to get a drink (pint of cider) to 'wet moi whistle' then asking how long I was on. Told it was 5 minutes, I looked at the pint, musing, then went off to get another 'better safe than sorry, eh?'. This idea really tickled me, but when the audience still didn't know what was happening, maybe it just looked like pointless prevaricating. But I had to put across that he liked cider as the pay off was reaching phrases in the songs that sounded like 'cider' (eg-'that tickled inside her', from the woman who swallowed a fly song) then going mad and downing a pint; 'sorry 'bout that, the appley mist just rose before me eyes, I felt the hand of ol' scrumpy himself 'pon me.'

Take it from me it's not a great idea to write material that means you have to down two pints of woodpecker. Oh how we suffer for our art. It wasn't the funniest thing of the night, but might be the thing people remember most. We also had the comedy magician Flash on, so it was something like the heady mix of anything-goes nonsense we'd set out to create.

Anyway, this page is all about me. Check the LLC site to see what everyone else did. -But wait till Friday as we haven't done it yet.

ALSO -there's now comedy every Tuesday. Us one week and The Horses Mouth the next. It's going for more experienced acts and fewer open mic spots than they used to have at the Chili or Egypt Cottage. (Neither of which are running anymore-despite what it says in the Crack etc.) It's usually compered by John Scott, with PA master stew and frequent appearances by Steff and others. And me and Cal at the next one, so get along there.

NEXT GIGS:

TUESDAY 11TH OF APRIL -
THE HORSES MOUTH @ BELLE GROVE HOTEL, BELLE GROVE TERRACE, NEWCASTLE.

MONDAY 17TH APRIL -
THE STAND -EDINBURGH.

TUESDAY 18TH OF APRIL. 8.30 FOR A 9.00 START. -
THE 4TH 'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home