PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Amateur night.

I've been thinking recently that one night in the Summer, I'd like to do a 'Pete Special' at the Long Live Comedy night, and get up and do at least half an hour. This would prove (or disprove) that I've got enough to do an actual 'show' - possibly at Edinburgh next year. (In my dreams.)

While I still only have about 10 minutes spoken stand-up that makes the grade, I've got loads of little musical bits and bobs. A lot of this I never expected to do again - but it often got as many laughs as my other stuff, so why not? The only reason I don't use this stuff at real gigs is that it's a pain bringing guitars costumes and props to a new venue, especially when you might not even be able to plug the guitar in, and there may be nowhere to make a quick change. If I was to attempt a half hour at the LLC it would currently include;

Ned Nineacres, the cider junkie.
I'd then whip off the costume in the wings (Note to self: Construct some wings.)and return to the stage as myself for;
general stand up + a few musical jokes, such as the A-team and other TV themes and the Johnny B Goode routine.
Off and on again in Cowboy mood for another two songs in character.
Back as myself to finish off with more stand up culminating in 'Planet of the Apes - The Musical.'

I don't think that's a bad way to spend half an hour. And while a 'Pete Special' sounds a bit up myself, in reality it only means booking 4 outside acts rather than five and me handling one of the 3 30 minute sections myself. Alternatively we completely change the format and have one special night where all 3 hosts do 30 minute shows. I'll have to see if the other lads fancy it, I'm sure Cal and Al wouldn't mind stretching themselves too.

It's weird that people don't do this more often really. Comedy, like film, is odd in that the amateur stuff is in a completely different format to the professional stuff. As well as being generally a bit, well amateur, it also suffers from being a different kettle of fish entirely. Real directors make 90 minute films with proper stories. Amnateur filmakers make 3 minute films like squashed episodes of 'The Twilight Zone. Professional comedians make 30 minute radio and TV shows or do live shows 80 minutes long - amateur comics do (for the most part) 10 minutes of just talking. If you see Ross Noble for 2 hours, he's always going to come across as better than someone who did 10 minutes alongside 6 other acts.

And it doesn't have to be like that. Amateur bands don't play songs 15 seconds long. If you went to a new restaurant and got two chips and a steak the size of a pound coin you wouldn't be happy, no matter how good it tasted.

Why spend half a career doing 5 and 10 minute monologues in the hope that one day you'll have the chance to do an hour long show? Just get on with it!

-I think there's some good advice here, but I'm probably not going to follow it, so anyone else is welcome.

NEXT GIGS:
TUESDAY 2ND OF MAY. 8.30 FOR A 9.00 START. -
'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2.

WEDNESDAY 3RD OF MAY.
SOMEWHERE IN MANCHESTER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home