PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Gigs 26,27, 28.

Sorry for the delay - I've missed 3 days, but then again this is the second time I've made an entry on the weekend, so you're really only down by one. (I don't normally do weekends.)

I've been busy - into the last month for my MA coursework - then just the small matter of a dissertation, and I did 3 gigs last week. (Al did about 10 - but who's counting.)

So, gig 26 was the LLC - see the site for details of that. 27 and 28 were both in Manchester and the whole team - me, al and callum went down. The first gig was a bit of a disappointment - it was basically a get together for comics, about 15 people were in the large room by the time we left, and about 10 were performing themselves. Some of these we'd seen at gong shows and other events. There are so many nights and comics about it sometimes seems there is an unbelievable ammount of competition, but on the other hand, you see the same faces so often it sometimes seems like there are only 50 comics in the north of England. Anyway - Perhaps jaded or overly concerned with what they're going to do themselves - a roomful of comics doesn't make the best audience - it was hard to get a laugh anywhere. I did about the best- my style includes more 'gag' punny oneliners, which can generate a little laugh in most cases - or a groan. Al and Cal build more on personality and anecdotes, usually audiences warm to them much better, but there was no warming this audience.

We'd also been on first and maybe it got better later, but Al had managed to wangle himself a second gig, so we shot off to the next venue. This was a stylish little bar on a corner a few miles down the road, with huge round windows which made it like playing in a diving pool. It was not well filled, they were suffering from the post bank holiday lull that's also been keeping down attendence at the LLC. But, it was (half) full of real punters, nicely drunk.

When we came in Ricky Gervais was on. Well, if I took my glasses off he was. There was a comic who looked like him a fair bit, but who was identical in style and mannerisms - he even had his own carl pinkington. As much of his stuff came from disecting the idiotic musings of a friend. Even if it is a deliberate rip-off, he's a great actor - and if it's not, he's a great comic.

Anyway - best of all, someone hadn't shown up so Cal and I both got on for another 5, which made up for the earlier gig. I think it went OK for both of us - the crowd was spaced out and pockets were geting into it, while others were ignoring us completely. So not an overt success, but laughs in all the right places. Al, who'd been building up to it and had 10 minutes to win them over, went down a storm.

Well- better late than never. But expect more interupptions. I have a lot of work, and on Saturday my back seized up when I bent to tie my shoes. I am officially the world's most decrepit student. So forgive me if don't find time to write this between shuffling my zimmer to the library and back.

NEXT GIG:

TUESDAY 16TH OF MAY. 8.30 FOR A 9.00 START. -
'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home