PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Tanked up.

I was helping out a class today where students were comparing the same story in two online papers. I saw one about 8 people found inside a chemical tanker, I thought I’d see what the Daily Mail’s take was. Sure enough they’d replaced the word ‘people’ with ‘ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.’ OK, so they probably were illegal immigrants – but the Mail couldn’t have known for sure, as the story had just broken and none of the basic facts reported everywhere else could confirm that.

And, as Marcus Brigstock has said, the sort of tenacious, inventive go-getters who will cling to the underside of a truck for 8 hours are exactly the kind of people we need in this country.

But this blog is about comedy so here's the bit that made me laugh, a comment posted by a worried Mail reader following the story…

“I'm so sick of the immigration problem in this country. I even had a dream last night that there were a load of illegal immigrants living in my downstairs cupboard.”

- Helana, London

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home