PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Gig 67 / England's Glory?


Finally took the stage at one of our monthly gigs, doing 10 minutes of stand up - I'll be compereing the August gig. A great night and I think I held my own alongside the other performers so, despite being more nervous than i have in a long time, I was well pleased.

I recently noticed the above design on a box of matches. England's glory. A battleship (doubtless off to give the bosh a hiding) and not one but two union jacks. Bit jingoistic in this day and age, I thought. But on closer in spection, it's more international - made in Sweden.

How are England's Glory matches being made in Sweden? Is there a factory full of swedish Anglophiles, wearing bowler hats on the way to work? Starting the day with a rousing chorus of 'God save the Queen'? Watching tapes of 'Last of the Summer Wine' in the canteen? "Yharss, we are maken our matches to pour reflected glory on her majesty."

This would be weird if they were made in China, but Sweden? They have one of the highest standards of living in the world. Beer costs about £8 a pint. Who knew this wealth was based on the match making industry? I thought matches were a fairly cheap comodity. What about all those poor victorian match girls, trying to make enough for a crust of bread.

"Please kind sir, buy a box o' matches from a poor orphan girl."
"Hang on, aren't you Swedish?"
"No."
"You are! That's your Volvo isn't it?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home