PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Gig 64. It's got culture coming out the wazoo!


I gave the producer character from the sit-com script another airing. I thought it would work better in a comedy night than it had at the experimental theatre gig. It didn't. With normal stand-up I'm always willing to admit a joke's no good if two audiences both don't like it. But I'm sticking to my guns here. I still think the scene is really funny, but it doesn't work. Maybe it's in a weird half-way house between comedy, drama and monologue and people don't know what to do with it. But I still thnk there are great lines in it. Basically it's a producer changing a show about Darwin into Indiana Jones.

That should work, people love monkeys! What d'ya mean, 'There were no monkeys in the Galapagos.' Well what the hell did he study? ...various species of finch! You expect me to go to a demanding audience with various species of finch! You gotta be outta your freakin' mind. Come on, what else ya got? ...giant tortoises? That could work. Now these tortoises, do they rampage at all?

...but in this case it seems my funny bone is not aligned with the general public. I still can't quite believe the following line didn't get a laugh...

That Mc Beth, is that not serious, is that not cultured? Sure it is, It's got culture coming out the wazoo!

Oh well- this was always going to be a one off, I wasn't about to adopt it as my new comedy persona, just a shame it didn't go out on a high.

1 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Ashley Frieze said...

Please have a look at www.incredible-productions.co.uk/testpilots

Any use to you?

No, this is not spam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home