PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Monday, March 12, 2007

What's my motivation?

The first post in a long time, but I haven't done any gigs apart from the LLC nights, and I can't remember doing anything so spectacular that it deserves to be called gig no. 62. But I do have a weird one coming up. John Scott put me forward for a gig at Northern stage. A couple of weeks later I had an e-mail through which explained it as an opportunity to see theatrical works in progress, meet with the creators and offer feedback to help hone these dramatic first steps. So 10 minutes of me telling jokes about starwars didn't seem appropriate.

So, I dug out an old script - 'The Garret' a tale of struggling Victorian artists. I wrote this with the help of a mate a few years ago, sent it to 2 companies, had 2 rejection letters and forgot about it. But now it's back. Given the lack of time, I didn't think I'd be able to learn it, let alone anyone else, so the show will have to be represented by me reading out 3 scenes. One featured a showbiz producer turning a serious play about Darwin into Indiana Jones. This bit at least seems to work. The conversation was so onesided that I was able to cut all the lines by the play's writer and do the producer' part as a monologue. So even if 'The Garret' never resurfaces, I may have another 8 minute routine I can use somewhere. Due to the increasing popularity of the LLC nights (for performers- we're not exactly turning away punters yet.) I've not been able to get on to try it out, but I'm hoping for a cancellation tomorrow, so I can at least try out this bit before Friday.

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Ashley Frieze said...

You could also email me it to ashley@incredible.org.uk and I could give you a critique.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks ashley, but there is a lot wrong with the script which was obvious to me having read it again after a gap. (it's far too long and the plot is far too contrived) You would be pointing out things which I know need changing myself. If there's sufficient interest on Friday and I decide to take it further, then I'll do a big re-write myself- at that stage (if I get there) I'll send you a copy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home