PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Gig 63. Beyond Compere.


Gig 63 was my second go at compereing solo at the LLC, and I think it worked. As the review said...

Pete was compere for the rest of the night, and soon abandonned his 'this week in history' themed material- it turned out to be informative but not funny, which is why no one else had bothered with it. Instead he got stuck in the logical problems of 'ripping the piss' put of someone for going to the toilet - are you actually helping them? The plucky recipient was Seb Proudfoot, and came in for more abuse when we pondered how he got his name. 'Well, I'm a baker, so I'll be Joe Baker. What about Seb?' 'Well, he's very proud of his feet.'

I think it was the lack of prepared material (or at least my willingness to dump it in favour of spontaneous stuff) that made the night. I'd researched a few facts on 'this week in history' but as it ws Al's turn to compere I didn't convert them into real jokes. And a week watching Cal's Ross Noble DVDs had me in a 'wing it and see what happens mode' and there were some nice moments. Particularly the 'proudfoot' thing where I milked a laugh of (what seemed like) 10 seconds, out of looking at my ow feet. Hopefully this is one of those important 'turning points' and gigs where I die because I've failed to engage with the audience are a thing of the past. On the other hand I can't survive for much longer with that hair. A man either has long hair, or he doesn't - there can be no middle course.

1 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger cameo said...

check here

http://www.eventdj.co.uk/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home