PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Winter lull?

It seems the cold dark nights are keeping folk in. No one wants to walk through the rain to see amateur comedians, they'd rather stay home and watch professionals on television. Lazy bastards!

Another low turn out at the Egypt Cottage on Monday - although a different 6 people this time, part of a rugby team. Next week I'll expect 6 ballerinas then 6 clowns- if only they'd all come for one show a month we'd have a respectable crowd. John considered shelving it and re-starting in January - possibly at a venue a bit closer to the town centre- I suggest the Bridge Hotel. But it seems it'll be on again next week at least.

A brief rundown. - I arrived late and Al Daws was on stage - he's getting slicker every time, as he gets more material and can drop the thinner stuff - he's getting so every third line or so is a decent gag.

I did my cowboy bit - I was hoping to try out this as a first or second spot, no pressure cos it's unpaid and under-rehearsed, but as I was late I started the second half - and forgot my second song halfway through. Should have got out while the going was good.

Joby- the 16 year old wonder kid, is doing great. Of course, he gets away with things others wouldn't (what other comic would get a cheer with the line 'I lost my virginity last week') - but he's genuinely good.

Callum Cramb finished off. He was trying to prove himself as a compare by riffing on stories from the metro. It would have worked- if he was comparing- but as the last act of the night, Callum saying 'hang on, there's another one in here' while he looked for the right page wasn't quite enough.

So maybe we've got ourselves to blame when there's only 6 punters in. Between me forgetting songs, and the final act being a guy talking us through the paper it wasn't exactly a glittering show-biz occasion. (and I just remembered, there was another newcomer on who seemed to have got most of his act by opening his christmas crackers early.)

On the other hand- we do need somewhere to try out new stuff, keep sharp when we don't have any other gigs and just stay in touch with other comics. I'd meant to keep Monday nights at the Egypt, as a casual gig- go along every week for a pint and a chat and maybe do 5 minutes if I had something new I wanted to try. So maybe we should keep it going, not as a 'real' gig, but just a place to get comics off the streets.

MY NEXT GIG:
THE ROYALTY PUB, SUNDERLAND. WED 7th DEC. I'LL BE DOING THE OPENING SLOT AT ABOUT 8.30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home