PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Gigs 6 and 7.

As I've now started gigging again I thought I should get the gig reports up to date, so the only gig's I'll mention will be ones I've just done. So over the next few days I'll do a round up of all those I haven't yet mentioned.

While doing these occasional sketches I was also applying for any comedy competitions I saw and I learned I'd got through to the regional heats of the BBC's new comedy competition. I'd sent them a tape of my singing cowboy routine (see blog Nov 21st.) Now I had to practice like crazy to prepare for the heat in Sheffield in Sep.

Though the singing cowboy had got me a place, I wasn't sure if the heaven sketch (see blog Nov 4th.) wasn't a better bet. I asked the organizers if I could enter with Rich, and while awaiting their ruling tried to rehearse both.

Gig 6. This was part of a short lived monthly spot at Enigma, Carliol Sq. It was organized by Karl of New Word Order. I went along and did the cowboy routine- expanding it to 10 minutes by the addition of a second song - a religious country and western tune about how the Lord is watching us always, entitled 'Piss off Jesus.'

"Standing by my shoulder, watching over me..
Why don't you go and buy your own damn magazine."

Gig 7. Rich and I ran through the heaven sketch at the Chillingham Arms. We'd switched roles- I was now playing the wannabe pirate, now with a Welsh accent and we'd edited it a bit. We'd also invested in higher quality false beards. In rehearsals we even videoed it, which was very useful. There's part where I had to dance "I could have been cavorting wildly in a haze of marry-ju-ana" and only after I saw the video did I realize my movements had to be twice as exaggerated to be funny. The gig went OK'ish- but in hindsight probably not well enough to convince us it would give us a chance in the competition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home