PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Getting my arse in gear 2.

So... a gig on Monday at the Egypt Cottage, and a New Word Order comedy workshop at the Bridge Hotel Tomorrow to prepare for it.

This is the last in a series of three monthly workshops usually run by NWO's Kate Fox. We go through various activities to come up with new material and polish old stuff, improv. games, exploiting comedy staples, analyzing the masters - but by far the most valuable thing is just trying out new material in front of other comics. If something's not working they'll let you know, but in a way that won't have you wanting to jump off the high-level bridge- which can happen if you only find out on stage.

If possible I want to have my whole 7 - 10 minute set prepared so I can run through it at the workshop (time permitting).

"A funny thing happened on the way here... but I can't talk about that, I've got my set all worked out."

I might start with that - then maybe something based on the mic stands. (See Nov. 10th)
I had another idea to talk about my hair - just as Al Daws talked about his weight. I've got pretty big (not long) hair and maybe if I talk about it first the hecklers won't.

"This might look random but this doo has a name - the arsehole detector."

The (hopefully) guaranteed laughs (see Nov. 14th) will go in and, I'll probably bring back something about poor technology - based on the Sony Aibo robot puppy. Basically- what's the point of a robot puppy, when you could have a robot Lassie?
It's not that good in itself, but I stretch the point to compare building kit from night rider with the intelligence of a chava in a souped-up Nova, and C3PO with the language skills of a kid on the french exchange. I'm still not sure if it completely works but I've got a good joke to finish it off.

"Is it just me or is Jabba the Hutt just saying the lyrics to Lady Marmalade?
Mocha chocka lata yaya..."

I might include my stuff on the evolution of the cat- I thought this was pretty thin but on my (disastrous) first outing (Gig 2.) this was one of the few bits that worked.

If I can be bothered to bring a guitar I might finish with excerpts from my musical version of planet of the apes. An idea I stopped developing when someone told me the Simpsons had already done it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home