PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Notebook.

One purpose of this blog is to act as a notebook for any ideas which might - eventually - become stand up. I`ll also put up finished ideas I`m pleased with so hopefully it won`t all be in the early experimental (i.e. not funny) stage. Here`s a few things in my note book.

Here`s what my notebook actually says...
`scientific development of super smooth surfaces for spider ice skating.` - I didn`t write enough here. I can`t think where this came from and it doesn`t seem funny anymore.

I`ve got a little doodle of a comic in that odd pose where to look relaxed they hold the mic in one hand and rest their elbow on the mike stand. Why? It can`t really be comfortable. There`s no way the stand would actually support them if they were genuinely leaning on it. I think I`ll try and do something about mic stand styles. People also say you shouldn`t hold it because it makes you look insecure. You`d think this would be contrasted by the fact that you`re standing on the stage in a comedy club talking to 50 people.

I`m sure comics do have stand envy when it comes to singers. You can`t say `3 men walk into a pub..` then strutt across the stage swinging the mic like Freddie Mercury.

HERONS- After Ross noble I got thinking- maybe he changed it to flamingos because they`re funnier? So I tried to think of Heron based humour. The purpose of the life sized plastic herons is to put them round ponds to stop real herons eating your fish. This works because herons will only eat alone. Why? Well, they`re leaning out looking into the pond - I think they`re scared of being pushed in. Occassional practical joker herons have ruined the communal dining experience for everyone. For the same reason Herons wont smell a flower when asked, or shake hands if you`re wearing a suspiciously large ring.

TIP FOR WANNABE COMICS (learn at the feet of the master): KEEP A NOTEBOOK WITH YOU ALWAYS- NEVER ASSUME YOU WILL REMEMBER AN IDEA, EVEN AFTER THINKING ABOUT A JOKE FOR 10 MINUTES I`VE STILL FORGOTTEN IT WITHIN AN HOUR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home