PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

To stuff or not to stuff?

Well, according to the last e-newsmailthingy from John Scott, the Monday nights at Egypt Cottage are safe for now. And I quote...

The horses mouth comedy club is alive and well and now residing at the Egypt cottage every monday night.......The show features all the same as before but now with sparkly lights and a slightly higher stage............Regulars include John Scott, Gavin Webster, Simon Donald, Al Dawes, Alex Collier, Callum Cramb,Joby,Pete Thompson,Chris Martin and more.................
 A BIG thanx to Al Dawes For bringing down his homies.
 
MACK EM LAUGH AT THE ROYALTY WED 7 DEC
 
Headline act. Dave Ingram
Supports. Pete Thompson.Sarha Millican.Chris Martin......
Compere.The slick and sick Matt Reed.............

Notice my name there? Up there in type. So today I'm just polishing the act- making sure I know the words in the song bit, and wondering what to add to bring it up to my alloted 15 minutes. Luckily they're not super strict- I think they'd rather I did 13 and didn't have too many lulls than stick in a load of filler. Supposedly some clubs- especially London- praise timekeeping more than gags. So if they ask for 5 mins. the dull guy who comes off stage at 4.58 will get re-booked over the guy who has them howling for 4.15. The guy who does an encore, because the crowd are screaming for more, never works again.

So, I'll have a couple of minutes leeway, if it's going well I might put in a few things I've had on the shelf for a bit. Like my idea for Cannibal Quorn.

I was also working on a bit about my dad (well, a dad, -my dad doesn't actually do this) who has the old man's habit of semi-singing/ humming "bom, bom, ba, bom, bom bom." I thought it would be funny as even Grandfathers now were growing up in the 60's and 70's so they might "bom" some pretty cool tunes, Led Zep riffs, for example. Unfortunately its really hard to get across- It's hard to 'bom' at random and then remember the tune when you have to. Maybe I can fit it in, it doesn't have much of a climax but it's fun to start it by saying 'You do funny things when you get older - my Dad's become a bomber... no, I don't mean...'

MY NEXT GIG:
THE ROYALTY PUB, SUNDERLAND. WED 7th DEC. I'LL BE DOING THE OPENING SLOT AT ABOUT 8.30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home