PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Monday, August 06, 2007

gig 72, 73 and edinburgh prep.

\Gig 72 was the eventual showing of our guide to churchill, which went down pretty well. 'It's nice when we're the best thing on, isn't it?'-said Al. I know what he means, plenty of times we're outshone by other performers at the gigs we organise. This is just as it should be, there's no way we could be the best thing week in week out, with so many other great people performing. But it's nice that when we do (occassionally) make an effort and do something new, different and with a bit of thought and sweat in it, it usually does end up being a highlight of the show. gig 73 was my first attempt compereing the Chilli. I took lots of cards onstage, to help me remember names, times, rules etc, I figured I either wouldn't need them, then I'd play them down- or I would need them, so I'd make it really obvious and do a new comedy character 'bad compere man'. It was a bit of both in the end, but the night as a whole was so good that nobody minded my occassional mistakes (Such as calling Sahra Millican 'Kate'-I am an arse.)

Cal's already checking out Edinburgh, and has warned us of low numbers and unenthusiastic audiences. Well, I was kind of expecting that. You can't expect the same reaction at 3.30 in the afternoon as at 9.00 in the evening (most people aren't that drunk yet.) Also, almost paradoxically, if it's free people come but expect it to be pretty poor (as it's free) whereas if you charge, people don't come at all. But at least we all know what were doing. According to Cal many people were still scribbling on beermats before they started their festival shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home