PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Gig 71. St. Patrick and dangerous animals.

A great LLC last night, possibly the best ever. Loads of people turned up to watch, and we had a packed gig and every act was magic. Occassionally we have a good crowd but a patchy show, and far too often we have great acts but noone to see them, so it was great to have both. And I was very pleased with my bit. Over the past week I've been trying to write another song to end my Edinburgh show on. I did, and I tried it and it was magic. Chuffed.

In the song, about dangerous animals, I briefly mention St. Patrick and how he drove the snakes from Ireland. This makes him sound pretty cool and St.ly. I can imagine him on the beach, forcing the wicked poisonous serpents into the sea, thousands of little ribbons cutting through the water trying to make it back to the warmer lands of europe. 'Away wit yez, or 'al bust ye wit me holy shelele!'

But Ireland is also completely free of moles. Did St. Patrick banish them too? That just seems harsh. There's nothing St.ly about a St. Patrick who forces tiny, velvet-black mamals into the sea. At least we can imagine the snakes swimming away. But just picture thousands of moles, sadly nosing their way into the surf, only to be washed back with every wave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home