PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Gig 52. Oh the humanity!

Oh dear. What I hoped would be the second in a string of gigs for a local promoter has totally put the kybosh on the whole idea. It was bloody awful. I think my nerves probably showed, which makes the audience nervous, they lose faith and expect you to be rubbish. Then I was rubbish, no laughs at the usually safe A-team joke, and things went from bad to worse. Without the laughs I lost track and had to actually stop until I remembered the next bit. I had hoped to win them round with the last song but it never happened. Arse. What's worse is this has happened because I've ignored my own advice... I did a similarly bad msical set in Manchester and told myself...

I don't want to be on a stage unless I'm 80% sure the material is going to work.

- but still I'd used a fair amount of stuff I like myself, but which has never really been proven. (Such as; Another famous riff was Hendrix playing the star spangled banner at woodsrock. An interesting fact about that, it was actually a cover - he didn't even write it.)

From now on I will only do tried and tested material at unfamiliar venues, and only add new material which has worked perfectly at local venues. Most beginners will just do their best 10 when they get a gig- Why I feel the need to try new stuff, I don't know. From now on I'm doing a travelling 10 and sticking to it unless I've already done the same stuff at that venue 3 times.

Anyway, hopefully tonight's LLC will give me a confidence boost. It's covers night so I'm being Emo Philips.



It's not my material, but hopefully I can be proud of my performance- after all, it's how you tell 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home