PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Gig 50 - Movies LLC.


Whoops. Nearly 2 weeks without an entry. Well, before tomorrow's show rolls round I'd better tell you about last weel's LLC. I did under 5 minutes, just introducing the comeptition, but there were some nice moments so I'm calling it a gig. There was a nice sense that we were playing off eacy other. James Christopher, our visiting compere from York, for example, felt like a compere this week rather than another act. He merged the movies theme with some audience banter, trying to come up with Arnie style 'death puns' based on the crowd's occupations... for a printer 'You have been erased' and for an I.T. support officer 'Die nerd!' So when I went on I started with a better alternative, imagine the I.T. guy's gun had jammed, Arnie says 'Did you try turning it off and on again?' -It's even funnier in a bad Austrian accent.

For the rest of the bit I was basically introducing the competition - 'Budget Movies'. The examples of films re-made on the cheap included 'The Empire Strikes' - 90 minutes of Stormtroopers on a picket line.

'We're not finishing this Death Star until management meet our demands!'

Vader -'You will obey, or I will destory you!'

'That's the trouble with this place, all stick and no bloody carrot. I'm off to join the rebellion, they're on Hoth - you can ski as much as you like!'

I followed up with 'The tax return of the Jedi' -a camp Luke wondering if occassional use of a light saber to swish about and cut the heads off dandelions counts as 'entertainment expenses'. I then apologised for doing Star Wars stuff 3 weeks running. When James went back on stage he had a great follow up...

'Nice to hear Pete's done Star Wars material for 3 weeks, so in 15 years he'll be back doing another 3 weeks of material- but so bad it sours the memory of the original.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home