PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Gig 42, and festival 43.

Another long break as the disruption of the festival has made blogging a low priority.

Gig 42 was another appearance at Manchester's Beat the Frog. After winning last time I thought it would be a bit cheeky to do the same 5 minutes, and though I had the 20 minute festival show ready, none of it was suitable for a gong- so I tried some new / newish stuff. So I did the bits on the low lactose milk for cats and a new bit on a fruit shop near Al's called 'Forbidden Fruits'. This was actually beat the frog- world series, a slightly more prestigeous version with a grand final, so most people were using their best stuff and my new and shakey material didn't stand up.

But gig 43- our festival success- a decent crowd, thanks largely to Cal's mates, and a good gig all round, it also felt like a good tightly run show and everyone went over well. I wanted to start with my laydeez song, and tried to really sell it with a nifty 'timberlake' drum sample running in the background, and a mirror ball (which was promptly nicked at the end of the show.) A better than usual sound-check paid off- everyone could hear the lyrics and it got my set off to a good start.

I decided to end with my poem which includes all the allowed 2 letter words in scrabble. This was perhaps not quite such a good idea- I think people like it, and there are some great laughs towards the end, but it takes 8 minutes and for a lot of that they aren't laughing. In retrospect an edited version, leaving time to finish on another song, might have been better. Still, good overall, and with me in the middle breaking up the conversational styles of Cal and Al, the night worked well as a whole.

Now- straight back to the weekly routine of Tuesday's LLC- hopefully with a boosted audience thanks lto the festival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home