PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Friday, December 09, 2005

I must, I must, I must improve...

I finally forced myself to listen to the Sunderland tape to see how bad it really was. Not as bad as I'd originally feared. Most things still got a laugh- though small, and on a few occasions mostly down to Stu -(Soundman and comic in his own right)- who kindly laughs even when he's heard the routine twice.

However, there was a lot of hesitation- listening back there are some ludicrous long gaps between things. And, even though I said I wasn't aware I was fiddling with the mic stand, there I am on tape actually saying 'Sorry... I'm fiddling with this to an outrageous level.'

I was slightly cheered up by the fact that the same routine had gone over well at Egypt Cottage, -well enough for John Scott and Vladimir McTavish to come over and congratulate me as soon as I stepped off the stage, and John offered me the Sunderland gig so he clearly expected me to do ok there.

So, I've come to the conclusion that the material is still OK. I've just got to try it again with more confidence.

Here's my plans for the coming weeks;

1. Get another gig ASAP and try again.

2. Edit my main routine from 15 minutes to 10.

3. Wear my glasses onstage next time.
I had preferred to see the audience as a blurry mass, but this doesn't inspire confidence. I will look them sternly in the eye and make them wilt.

4. Writing.
I've got two routines now- the one ending with Planet of the Apes, and my cowboy character which I can do for variation if I end up playing the same venue twice in a row. Rather than add new bits to these when I think of them, I'll concentrate on honing the material- taking out rather than adding. I'll put the new stuff into a 5-7 minute slot and try it at a low-pressure gig, probably the Egypt.

NEW IDEAS. (In very early stages.)

I had an idea about king kong (I will be the best comedian at ape based films.) - how it's basically a love story about the bond between a normal sized human lady and a gigantic male ape. Something about whether it's possible to give a sympathetic portrayal of such a complex relationship in a movie, comparing it to, say, 'The Crying Game.' Or just the difficulty of making a relationship work - 'you have to be prepared for compromise' etc. The obvious sexual incompatibility is an issue too, but I don't think I want to go there.

Silks and Spices - this is what explorers always bring back. Why? To impress girls. 'Put your frock on love, were going for a curry.' -Maybe in a longer bit about the new world etc.

I also noticed how long it takes between getting a metro ticket form a machine and your change coming. It's like the machine is hoping you'll forget and walk off, but then grudgingly coughs up -'Alreet, tak' it ya tight bastard, it's arnly 20p'

MY NEXT GIG:
LORD KNOWS- I MAY NEVER WORK AGAIN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home