PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

20th gig, 4th place.

Well, I didn't win. But I was still hoping for a decent review out of it. Though the eventual winner, Tony Richardson, was so far from the kind of stuff I like, that I had no idea what the judges were after. I'm still not sure. I think all of my stuff is fairly similar - so why the judges liked the start but hated the end - I have no idea. Cal and Al have both seen Tony and were surprised he got through - apparently he's a decent compere, but not really a stand up in his own right, and that's how he came across - confident on stage, but with a few unrelated bits and bobs, rather than a polished act. Strangely, he got through to the finals last year too. I don't think he'll win as he has a very similar style to Chris Martin, but he's not quite as good.

Merlin, who on paper had the best review, thinks there was dirty work afoot. I spoke to him more than anyone else (loner weirdos of a feather flock together) he's a really interesting guy - even though he's studying geology he knows enough about electronics to build his own (rather beautiful) valve amps.

I've shortened the reviews to the worst and (where possible) best bits, and attempted to put them in order of preference of the judges - I don't know how valid this is, as going off the reviews, Merlin should have won. I do have to add that apparent 3rd place Killian isn't my cup of tea either, as he starts with a joke about being unapologetically Irish, 'excuse me if I don't riverdance onto the stage' -but delivers this in an English accent, his next joke being based on the reasons why he purposefully lost his accent.


Tony Richardson
he fumbled an early punchline and muddled the words ‘resignation’ and ‘rejection’
He’s a skilful storyteller, adept at creating comic images in the audience’s minds

Merlin Blencowe.
This dry, sardonic stand-up is relentless in his barrage of often-punny one-liners.
Not every gag worked by any means,

Killian Monson
It’s a low-key approach that works very effectively,
the set went a little off the boil in the last couple of minutes.

Peter Thompson covered lots of bases in his set: starting with some quirky quickies, moving on to a more extended offbeat routine about Isambard Kingdom Brunel and ending with a mini-rock opera dedicated to Planet Of The Apes. The routine, however,  suffers from diminishing returns: starting strongly with decent,  fast-paced gags, the Brunel bit losing its way a bit and the song proving a rather aimless waste of time. A bit too much of a mixed bag, at the moment, but not without potential.

Dan Thornton,
He’s at ease on stage,
like a radio DJ reading out items from the day’s tabloids – entertaining enough, but unspectacular.

Robbie Dale
didn’t even get to the boil.

Vincent Peters
a nervy performance by a clearly inexperienced act

Tim Cant
his act is a none-too-subtle rip-off

So I guess I was 4th.

NEXT GIG:
POSSIBLY- THE GONG SHOW MIDDLESBOROUGH- SUN 5TH MAR.

TUESDAY 7TH MAR. 8.00.
THE BIG ONE, THE FIRST NIGHT OF 'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Pete! You were fuckin robbed.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pete, it's Merlin here! I was googling my own name, the way we do, and look who's blog popped up! Shame it's been a bit idle of late... :P
I'm going to Leeds uni in September, not so far away from you (to study Geology and build more valve amps). You should get in touch man!- find me at www.valvewizard.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home