PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Gig 38. Give 'em a chance.

A nice show in Scarborough last night. It's amazing how in these sleepy little seaside towns there are at least 100 people willing to pay 6 pounds and troop to the basement room of one of the myriad hotels and watch comedy. Maybe there's so little to do that when the occasional oasis of culture comes along everyone flocks to it. I think we're spoiled in Newcastle, there's so much to do that there's no sense of urgency, and in the end people probably see a lot less than the apparently culture starved citizens of Scarborough.

Anyway, perfomance wise I was a little lacklustre. My gong winning set went over fairly weakly - so back down to earth for me. But everyone's loving the Jabba the hut joke at the moment and after that the sci-fi them was popular and by the time I ended on the 'Planet of the Apes' song I'd won them back a bit, so not too shabby after all.

I may be imagining it, but I think the audience would have responded better if they'd had more faith in me. I think I'm going to have to ask the comperes not to stress the 'they're new so don't expect too much' angle. I used to be grateful of this but I think my act is OK now, and I'd rather have the audience expecting me to be good. I suppose the idea is that if you're bad they're prepared and if you are good they're pleasantly surprised. But sometimes it seems they only click after the first 5 minutes, slowly realising 'oh, he's OK' right I'd better start enjoying this rather than politely tolerating it.'

Come along to the LLC tonight, we've got some new acts, so lots of love, give 'em a chance...

NEXT GIGS-
-TUES 19TH, LONG LIVE COMEDY, DOG AND PARROT- BACK AFTER THE CANCELLED SHOW LAST TIME.
-WED 20TH, THE ROYALTY, SUNDERLAND.

2 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be honest with you Peter, the Scarborough crowd are very hard to please. The "please be nice to them, they're new" is how the compere manages to take the edge off a genuinely tricky audience.

If you got laughs, then call it a success.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Peter Thompson said...

Maybe, but they actually seemed like a nice audience anyway. Me and Al both did fine- Al really flew. Of course if we were total beginners, and there was a danger we might dry up, then this warning would help. I just think it cuts both ways, they're more forgiving of mistakes, but also they're looking for mistakes too. If you're actually good it takes a while for them to notice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home