PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Friday, June 30, 2006

gig 34. and Newcastle Gateshead Comedy Festival.

Gig 34 was another trip to Manchester's Pleasure bar with Cal. A good gig in all, though not well attended, they're being beaten by the Summer as is most comedy. At one point it looked like we'd be playing to a handful, but then filled up nicely at the last minute. However, at the first break a group of about 10 lads left, gutting the audience back to the original handful. Still they were apreciative enough.

I had planned to bump my set up to 10 by including new stuff, such as the windfarm joke (They're ugly, why not have a model of two guys sawing wood on the top.), which I'd planned to come back to at random points, Harry Hill style. (If they cant afford a model just pay a couple of fellows.) But an earlier comic overran, and we were told to keep it tight. I went on with the intention of doing the new stuff anyway, as it would still come in at around 9 minutes but as I hadn't worked the new stuff into my act I had to write some notes on my hand. The problem is, if I do this, I end up looking at it whether I need to or not. So I had a slightly hesitant start, checking my arm between gags. I decided not to bother and when I hit the core of my usual material just went with that, getting a nice finish with two big laughs for my australia bit.

So, It'll be the next LLC when I try out my new stuff. (if it's not windy, give it a push.) Including some explanation of the 70's shirt which will probably be my stage costume over the coming months.

Also, a meeting we had in place of the cancelled LLC gig has borne fruit. It looks like the LLC at the D and P will be a minor, but still official partner of the Newcastle Gateshead Comedy Festival. We aren't doing that much, but then we aren't really experienced enough to be a big part of a major festival, instead Al, Cal and I will organise the D and P as a venue for some of our more experienced friends to do their elongated shows over the course of a week. So come along for an hour in the company of John Scott, Steffen Peddie and Vladimir Mc Tavish. Oh, and we have kept one day for ourselves, so under the banner 'The best of Long Live Comedy' we'll be doing about 20 minutes each of all the best bits we've concocted while at the LLC. It may be a small start, but we're all pretty happy just to know we're in the offical program with the big boys. (Probably in a smaller font, but what the hey.)
NEXT GIG;

TUESDAY 11TH OF JULY. SHOW STARTS 9.00 -
'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home