PeetThompson's Blog.

Comedy in Newcastle.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Gig 32,33. LLC and Edinburgh-the return.

Oh dear, another week without a post, i'm really falling behind here. But another Edinburgh gig tonight so I'm having a rare day devoted to comedy. Most of which will be updating the LLC site.

Gig 32 was the LLC- check there for the whole review, which should be up today. My contribution was fairly weak this week, a few ideas but not really developed enough to be called 'comedy' - still at the 'chatting in the pub' level. I might develop something out of these later, so for my own records, I talked about;

The summer. When I asked 'Is everyone enjoying the summer?' it got the usual half-cheer of agreement, but given that everyone in the room had chosen to be in the dark, rather than outside watching Brazil play football, It didn't quite ring true. Comedy fans are one step away from goths. I mentioned a Cure concert I'd been to in my goth days, where Robert Smith had got excited enough to ask, 'Is everyone having a good time?' 2000 goths went 'yeahhhh!' then, a second later, 'Oh shit. Noooo!'

I talked of designer sunglasses - this just means that someone designed them. The only alternative is if they grown on trees - not designer but the product of natural selection. Or accidental sunglasses, like if you were claring out the shed and smashed a jam jar full of fuse wire and it somehow miraculously formed a pair of raybans.

I also mentioned the Evans manequins I've already written about on here. Still, none of it really worked, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next time, as I'm in a bit of a dry patch. This did have me slightly worried about tonight's gig. At the moment I'm still too busy with my dissertation to chase people up and beg for gigs, but when Cal and Al (Thanks lads) find a gig with an extra spot I'll show up and do it. So I wasn't really prepared when this one roled around. Luckily, last time at Edinbburgh's Stand, I taped the show and listening back was fun. I remembered it as going 'pretty well' but actually listening again and hearing a nice strong laugh after every line really bucked me up. Because I'd half-forgotten the gig it was like listening to a sit-com, with the soundman pressing 'FX.No.3-(hearty laugh)' after every line. So gig 33 should be another good one - apart from the 5 hour round trip. An hour in the car for a minute on stage. Why do we do it? (Seriously, Why do we do it?- We must be freaking nuts.)


NEXT GIG;

EDINBURGH STAND, TONIGHT.

TUESDAY 27TH OF JUNE. SHOW STARTS 9.00 -
'LONG LIVE COMEDY'
THE DOG AND PARROT (UPSTAIRS)
-OPPOSITE THE CENTRE FOR LIFE, 2 MINS FROM CENTRAL STATION.
ONLY £2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home